The project aims to modernise and adapt the station to future infrastructural needs regarding access and passenger services as well as railway installations.
The new station hall was officially opened for the Luxembourg station's centenary on 21th September 2011.
The following works were carried out:
- engineering works on the south and north underground passages, on the public platforms and works on platform entrances;
- platform equipment (signalling, electronic communication, clocks, etc.);
- construction of waiting spaces on platforms 2 and 3;
- the provisional footbridge providing access to the platforms and linking the Gare and Bonnevoie districts;
- construction and equipment of the new canopies on platforms 1, 2 and 3 and repair of the existing one on platform 4;
- adaptation of railway and overhead lines;
- renewal and adaptation of street furniture;
- setting up a video surveillance system inside the station;
- construction of a new station hall with ETFE film covered roofing;
- construction of a covered walkway, linking the new hall and car park;
- re-organisation of the station square.
The building works on the new luggage depot on the south side of platform 1 are in progress.